Sunday, July 7, 2019

Vacation Week

One week in and this retirement thing feels like a very exhausting vacation.  The first week entailed having two grand daughters, Lucy (5) and Maggie (3), for 6 days.  The energy I thought I had has been completely depleted!  Entertaining children on a boat is slightly different from spending a week with them on land.  When you take a beach vacation the adults control how much time is spent at the water.  On a boat we are always at the water, which for these girls means they should be able to swim from the time the sun rises until the time the sun sets.  At 6:30 a.m. I was greeted with a small face smiling down at me whispering “grandmom, can I jump in now?”

 Knowing we would be on a boat together for such a long time, I felt the need to plan a variety of activities.  Some of my ideas were brilliant...others I would classify as ‘epic fail!’ However, my rating scale can be considered bias.  If I was able to sit in a beach chair in the shade while they played with magic sand or sea animals in the blow up pool I rated the idea ‘brilliant’





If the activity caused me extensive work in the area of clean up...fail!




The glitter paint to decorate their own visors was the worst idea ever, and we will have glitter paint finger prints on the pilot house cushions for many years to come...hopefully this will remind grandmom to think through the reality of projects:) 






We had a fabulous time exploring and playing in Eagle Cove, and made wonderful memories of grandmom’s first week of retirement!

Oh yeah, and for those of you who have never tried one...
Outdoor boat showers are the BEST!

6 comments:

  1. Congrats Debbie.. the day has finally come. Just visited with nicole and girls in Charleston ICE cream shop. All the"GIRLS"are great. Nicole is a pistol and Lucy and Maggie are not far behind! Can't wait ti see their new home
    Happy voyages, Rose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rose! I hope you and Mike are well...I’m glad you got to visit my girls!

      Delete
    2. Every chance i get when i visit my sister in murrells Inlet. Rose

      Delete
  2. Only awesome grandparents spend their first week of retirement with the littles!!! Your post made me smile. I can hear you talking over my wall telling us all about it! Keep making awesome memories!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for this great comment! I hope everyone at AACPS is doing well!

      Delete

The Continuing Saga

  Well, another month has passed since my last post, and I must report that our trying times have continued to haunt us.  Not sure if we sho...