Wednesday, August 7, 2019

Breakfast with Seals & Eagles

Before leaving Bar Harbor we really wanted to hike on Bar Island, but we didn’t want to share the experience with the hoards of people that migrate across the Bar at low tide.  We decided to plan our excursion during high tide so that only the truly adventurous would be with us.  The plan worked...the only living creatures we saw on Bar Island were deer, birds, and dozens of monarch butterflies!!  The short hike to the summit provided a nice stretch of the leg muscles, but the fog rolled in so quickly we couldn’t see anything...no harbor, no boats, no town.
Let’s paddle quickly, the fog is coming!

MILKWEED, I was determined to get this shot for my Arlington Echo friends!

The water is soooo clear.

There is no sand on this beach.

After checking this excursion off our list it was time to find a new anchorage.  This is where I will confess that my knowledge regarding the geography of Maine was/is lacking.  I am embarrassed to admit that I had no idea there were so many islands.  I had no idea that Bar Harbor & Acadia National Park are on an island (the same island for those of you who are also geographically challenged). I was also surprised to discover that a body of water (Somes Sound) runs up the center 
of the island.  We could actually anchor in the center of Acadia National Park...cool.


We anchored in the yellow circle

Heading north into Somes Sound with mountains of Acadia on either side.

The anchorage is beautiful!!!!


The next morning we thoroughly enjoyed having breakfast on the back deck while watching the abundant wildlife.
Eagles, seals, and porpoises were fishing

Keith’s patience pays off which this shot of a seal and porpoise in the same frame! 














4 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos!!! Good job Keith for that last shot. Glad you are having a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! What an amazing adventure! Love the pics and posts! Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thought you would see that it's "Karen Frantz" posting my reply instead of "unknown". Just wanted to let you know I'm following your awesome adventure!!! ��

      Delete
  3. Thanks Karen! I think it only posts your name if you are signed into google. Glad to see you are following us!

    ReplyDelete

The Continuing Saga

  Well, another month has passed since my last post, and I must report that our trying times have continued to haunt us.  Not sure if we sho...