Tuesday, October 19, 2021

Eagles, Clouds, & Fog


After spending 10 days in our ‘home’ waters of the Chesapeake, we are underway once again.  We spent our time visiting family and friends, and hung around to attend the Annapolis Boat show.  Our purpose for visiting the boat show was to be able to play with, and compare, new chart plotters.  The day was beautiful, and although we attended on a Friday (with the hope of avoiding a crowd), the place was packed.  I guess we forgot that nobody works anymore😉.  

We have now been underway for the past 8 days.  The trip has been fabulous!  During the first three days the sky was heavy with cloud cover.  All day-every day it looked as though it would pour down rain at any moment, but we barely saw a drizzle the entire time.  However, for a cloud enthusiast like myself, the cloud formations were amazing!




In addition to seeing beautiful clouds, our week has been packed with Eagle sightings.

Glad we aren’t there yet…someone is getting wet.

WOW!

I still can’t believe it isn’t raining.

Eagles, clouds, and fog.

Clouds and battleships.

We rarely see an Eagle at a nest.

These types of clouds are easier to see ‘pictures/things’.  I clearly see a stuffed animal in the lower right of this sky.

You see it too, right?  It could be a little lamb jumping over something, or possibly flying.  Anyway, Keith and I play the cloud picture game often.  Of course there are points involved…that are actually worthless, but like any game we defend our sighting to garner additional points. I think this is worth a 7 or 8, but Keith only gave me a 4😡. 

Ah…the lazy days of retirement!


As soon as the sky cleared of the ominous clouds, the fog set in.
Several mornings on the ICW, south of Norfolk, were thick and eerie.

The perfect setting for Halloween.

There was a boat behind us…

On foggy mornings the boat is covered with tiny water droplets.

Thanks to our resident spiders, and the mist from the fog, our Halloween decorating is complete!

This is my pick for picture of the week.

Thankfully, the entire week wasn’t grey!  

Today is Tuesday, October 19, 2021, and we plan to travel outside (meaning we will leaving the ICW and go out into the Atlantic) tomorrow, for the last 75 miles to our anchorage near grandchildren in Charleston, SC.  That leg should take us about 10 hours.  For those of you keeping track…yes, the trip that would have taken us 9 hours to drive, has taken us 9 days by boat.  It is safe to estimate each hour in a car is equivalent to a day on our boat, because our boat only travels at about 8mph.  However, you should keep in mind…we aren’t in this for the destination, we’re in it for the journey!

Also…kudos to Keith for rescuing my new ($400) glasses.  I have previously expressed my happiness for having a personal mechanic onboard.  Please don’t think I am cocky for referring to Keith in that manner…he is the one who used that line as part of his dating advertisement, but that is a story for another day.  Anyway, I am super happy to also have a personal diver onboard.

After passing through a lock we decided to spend the night at the free dock in Chesapeake, VA.  Somehow, when I tossed the line over the piling, to secure the stern of the boat, the line kicked up and caught the outside edge of my glasses, flipping them off my face and into the water…my hero!






































No comments:

Post a Comment

When Things Go Wrong

  Upon my return to the boat on February 3, I discovered Keith wasn’t feeling well. He said his symptoms had just started the day before wit...