Saturday, February 27, 2021

Dry Tortuga Addendum

It has come to my attention that several people were disappointed that my last post did not include pictures of Fort Jefferson.  I am sorry for the oversight, but since this was our second trip to the Dry Tortugas I didn’t want to be redundant by posting fort pictures, again.  However, I failed to consider that people are constantly joining our journey, and it is possible they did not see posts from February 2020.  If anyone is interested in viewing old posts, just visit our site MVRightHand.blogspot.com and select the month/year on the right side of the screen.

For those of you anxiously awaiting some Fort pics...these are for you!

Spectacular from the water...

And from land! We snorkeled all the way around the outside of the moat wall.

This picture gives a feel for the size of this structure, even though less than half of the fort is actually captured in this shot.  Fort Jefferson is the largest masonry structure in the Western Hemisphere. This picture was taken last year, but since it was never posted (and I didn’t have any good shots of the interior from this year) I decided to use it here. I am confessing this now, because if any of you have recently visited Fort Jefferson you will know the lighthouse is no longer standing.  They have removed the structure, and are currently rebuilding the foundation to renovate the lighthouse. 


Water water everywhere.  All windows have a beautiful water view...however, if you were a prisoner here in the 1800’s you probably didn’t have time to appreciate the view.  You were probably busy digging this moat, or dying from yellow fever.

I have never been a fan of children on leashes, but I rescind that stance when it come to walking on the top of this fort.  Every child should have at least two leashes, each held by different adults!  I think I have confessed this before, but I am NOT a fan of heights...and walking up here freaks me out...I am not getting any closer to the edge!

If you would like to learn more about Fort Jefferson history, visit https://www.drytortugas.com/

Back in Key West,

We spent our last day in Key West visiting the town, and enjoying a fabulous lunch at Caroline’s.  Everything is good here, but believe me when I say the shrimp lettuce wraps were AMAZING!

We are currently anchored in Big Pine Key, and have enjoyed two snorkel days since the last post.  I am sorting through pictures now, and will have the next post up soon.











No comments:

Post a Comment

The Continuing Saga

  Well, another month has passed since my last post, and I must report that our trying times have continued to haunt us.  Not sure if we sho...