Tuesday, November 19, 2019

Rain Rain Go Away!

Do you notice anything strange about this picture?
I know what you are asking...if the boat is anchored and the wind is blowing strong enough to make that flag ‘stand up’ why isn’t the boat turning into the wind?  Strange...unless stronger forces are influencing the motion of the boat (or of course if the boat was aground it would not turn into the wind, but it is not aground).

We are anchored in Rockville (at the blue dot). We are very close to the ocean, in an area that has a 6-8 ft tidal range.  The current created by the tidal flow is very strong in this location, and dictates the direction the boat faces  while at anchor, unless the wind is blowing 25+ mph.  When we are in bed at night the sound of the water rushing past the hull gives the feeling that we are moving through the water very quickly. Even though water is rushing past us, it does not cause any motion in the boat unless the wind gets strong enough to turn the boat perpendicular to the direction of the current. For the most part, this has been a very comfortable anchorage with excellent holding.

This anchorage offers several benefits. 
  1. We are close to Nicole, Joey, Lucy and Maggie so we are able to enjoy a lot of family time.
  2. There is a public boat ramp a few hundred feet away so we have our car in the parking lot and can leave the Whaler on the pier to come and go as we please.
  3. There is a shrimp boat fleet right around the corner and we can watch them come in, and head right over to the dock for the freshest shrimp ever!
Believe it or not, this is the place that sells the best shrimp I have ever eaten, Keith and I have become addicted to shrimp tacos.


This is the same place with the shrimp boats back, and a super high tide...the dock is under water.


We have been experiencing very high tides this week. This doesn’t look right!

The weather here (I know everywhere) has been windy, cold and rainy.  I had big plans of all the fun we would be able to have with the girls when we visited Charleston with the boat, and actually got to stay for a few weeks.  They have been anxious to spend the past two weekend on the boat with us, but instead of kayaking, paddle boarding and fishing...we have spent many hours playing card games, coloring, telling stories, watching movies, and doing puzzles.  Still great fun, but not what I expected! Someone used to tell me, “if you would lower your expections you wouldn’t be disappointed so much”, while I never quite agreed with that philosophy, in this example that might be true. However, I do believe in this motto, “the difference between an ordeal and an adventure is your attitude” sooo even though it’s not what I planned it is still a great adventure!

When we were able to slip outside to practice casting, grandmom spent most of the afternoon untangling fishing line that continued to unspool from the reel, because “this thing must be broken”😁

Better idea...these reels are not ‘broken’!

We did get to enjoy cooking together, Maggie makes an awesome kale salad!

In spite of the horribly cold rainy weather, we were super happy to have Tammy and Chuck join us for lunch.  Again, it wasn’t the beautiful lunch cruise I envisioned (with dolphins playing in our bow wave), but we tried to make sure our guests stayed dry and comfortable...adventure!

Kuber (Keith’s Uber) ride to (and from) the boat in our foul weather gear.

Inside was warm and dry, and held the promise of sangria and shrimp tacos.  Tammy’s apple square dessert topped off a perfect day!

I have also had the opportunity to hang out with my daughter Nicole, when the girls are in school. She recently purchased 18 acres on Wadmalaw Island and has great plans to build a new home and create a permaculture wonderland.  Here I am helping her inoculate downed trees with mushroom spores. You drill a hole and hammer a wooden dowel, that contains spores, into the hole then cover it with wax.  This was the first time I have ever ‘planted’ mushrooms, but it was pretty cool and I can’t wait to see the fruit of our labor, literally!

Speaking of downed trees with holes. This tree was recently cut down on the side of the road.  I would imagine there is a very upset woodpecker nearby!

I am looking for some input regarding the next two pictures.  I took a series of 6 pictures in an attempt to capture this sunset. Only after looking at the pictures did I notice that there seems to be some type of reflection in all of the pictures.  The sun is setting directly above the water, however, it looks like there is a miniature sunset above the cloud. 
Originally, I thought I captured a moonrise in the sunset picture (there was a full moon that night), but when I saw the next picture in the series I had to believe this is some type of reflection.

A thin cloud has now moved across the sun  (in the actual sunset) and is more clearly depicted in the ‘reflected’ sunset seen in the big cloud.  These are unaltered pictures taken with my iPhone.  I’m pretty sure at least one person who follows this blog (Pete) can explain these pictures. I would love to hear from anyone with an opinion about my double sunset pictures (or anything else you would like to tell me😁)










































1 comment:

The Continuing Saga

  Well, another month has passed since my last post, and I must report that our trying times have continued to haunt us.  Not sure if we sho...