Tuesday, November 5, 2019

Joystick Danger

Since my last post we have traveled over 300 miles on the ICW.  We are currently anchored near Pawley’s Island South Carolina, and will arrive at our next ‘destination’ after two more days of travel.  We have been covering about 40 miles per day, and anchoring in very interesting locations.  Luckily, we have not seen any new insect swarms or pirates,  but it has been an adventurous week.
We have seen a lot of evidence of hurricane damage.  There are many boats grounded, piers destroyed, and roofs in need of new shingles.


Pelicans are still mocking me, and refuse to allow me to get a picture of them gliding beside the boat. Every time I grab the camera they either change flight direction or dive into the water.

There are many boats for sale (cheap) if you are interested in ‘living the dream’😁

The ICW provides a variety of scenery. In some areas we are very close to the ocean with easy access through an inlet.

Beautiful marsh lands also make up a large portion of our scenery.  I was surprised to see so many bird species peacefully sharing the same small marsh pool.

However, my favorite ICW sites are the areas that look like we are in the middle of a very old swamp. There are places that feel as though we should not be taking this big boat into that small waterway.  

I could take pictures of these trees all day long!

Then suddenly, we are back among the mansions.  Many homes along the ICW seem so extravagant that Keith and I usually play the game ‘Resort or Home’.  I argue that most of these structures have to be resorts, but Keith is probably right in guessing home.

We experienced a little excitement over the past two days.  One incident turned out to be interestingly fun, the other terrifying and dangerous.  Once again I am going to admit to a terrible mistake we made, in hopes that it might spare someone else from the same mistake.  I’ll tell the interestingly fun story first.  As we transited the ICW near Oak Island SC we were passed by a Coast Guard boat several times, and each time they passed us we saw them stop an oncoming boat.  After the third boat boarding we witnessed, we discussed that they must be either bored or they are training. A few minutes later the radio came to life...” Right Hand, Right Hand this is the US Coast Guard off your starboard stern.” I was at the helm at the time so I replied, “ This is Right Hand”.  I heard, “Captain, we are going to board your vessel for a safety inspection”. Of course I replied, “I will slow down and put my vessel in neutral.” I was surprised to hear, “That won’t be necessary Captain, continue on you course and we will match your speed to transfer personnel.”  WOW, I know most people aren’t excited to be boarded, but I thought that was pretty cool!

The inspection went well.  We were able to provide all items they requested, and prove we maintained a safe and environmentally friendly vessel.  We were awarded the ‘gold sheet’.  My son is in the Coast Guard so everyone know I love my Coasties!!

They were picked up in the same manner, with all women at the helm...GO LADIES!!

Now onto the mistake...
The next day we were passing through Myrtle Beach.  I had first helm shift and was focused on a few shoal areas. Even though it was a chilly morning I moved to the steering station on the bridge to have a better view of the narrow rock ledges we would experience in North Myrtle Beach.  A few hours in, Keith opened the wooden drawer to get the charging plug for the laptop.  This was ‘normal operating procedure’ when the laptop we use for navigation indicated a low battery.  He plugged in the laptop and everything seemed fine.

We intentionally transmitted this area at low tide so we could see the rock ledges (this area is known as the rock pile) that line the channel, and yeah, the water looks like very old coffee!  We made it through the rock pile without incident, and about an hour later it was time to change helm duty.  We were still in a fairly narrow channel, and I had been using the auto helm most of the morning. Only turning it off to hand steer through shoal and rock ledge areas.  The auto helm was engaged when Keith took the helm, and I stepped to the side and picked up the camera to take some pictures. I turned to take a picture and instantly the boat made a severe 90 degree turn to port. I yelled “what did you do?” He yelled, “nothing!”  Neither of us knew what happened. I reached down and turned off the auto pilot while he killed the throttle and threw her in reverse...then jammed the throttles forward.  The boat stopped just feet from the canal bank, without touching anything. However, again our hearts were racing and we searched for the cause of the incident. We thought we had a major auto helm malfunction.  Keith was the one to spot the actual problem. Our auto helm has a joystick control that we use to avoid crab pots and debri when we are in open water.  We have not taken the joystick out of the drawer since we entered the ICW, because it is NOT for close quarter maneuvering.  However, the joystick handle got wedged against the drawer when Keith removed the power cord, and my hip must have bumped the drawer when I turned to take pictures.  I’ve always known I am a little ‘hippy’ and have used it to my advantage in the past.  If there is a door stuck I can easily get it open with one bump of the hip, but I never considered my hips dangerous!  Moral of the story...don’t leave your joystick plugged in, and if it is plugged in, don’t get your joystick stuck in a drawer!

Anyway...after a long day, we had to bohemian anchor (that’s when you deploy an anchor from the bow and one from the stern to stop your boat from swinging in a tight spot) to stay out of the channel that we knew shrimp boats would be using in the morning.  The next morning this shrimp boat stopped right next to us to set up their gear before leaving the inlet.  I never knew a person walked out on the outriggers to get the nets ready...COOL!!

















No comments:

Post a Comment

The Continuing Saga

  Well, another month has passed since my last post, and I must report that our trying times have continued to haunt us.  Not sure if we sho...