Sunday, October 6, 2019

Full Circle

On September 24 at 1401 (2:01 p.m.) we dropped anchor in Eagle Cove, behind Gibson Island on the Magothy River.  This is the place we consider to be our ‘home’ anchorage.  This is the spot we left on July 10 (76 days earlier) to start the first leg of our cruising adventure. Our goal was to travel north to Bar Harbor, Maine and explore the northeast coast of the US on our slow journey back. During this time we traveled a total of 1875 miles, and visited nine states.  



This is our Garmin InReach tracker showing all 1875 miles.  Other stats from our journey include...
  • Burned 820 gallons of diesel fuel at average of $2.95/gallon = $2,419 (not bad for two and a half months of travel in a 58,000 lb boat)
  • Used 630 gallons of water (I am very proud that we can make 400 gallons last 30 days, when the average American uses 80-100 gallons per day!)
  • Anchored a total of 38 times and took two mooring balls. Total cost for ‘lodging’ = $0.00 yes, zero dollars.
  • Stayed in marinas zero nights!
  • Saw marine life we have never personally experienced in our home waters...whales, sunfish, harbor porpoises, lobsters, seals...etc.
  • Met amazing people along the way!
Our plan was to be back in the Annapolis area in time to attend the Sailboat Show.  We have a few ‘big ticket’ items we would like to purchase to complete the outfitting of Right Hand for Caribbean cruising.  So we plan to be in the area until mid October.

I had an opportunity to fly to Charleston (then drive to Fernandina Beach) for some much needed grand daughter time (and I was able to slip in some much needed beach time).

Lucy’s and Maggie’s elementary school hosted a “Grits & Gravy for Grandparents” breakfast😁
After breakfast, I had a chance to visit classrooms

The next day happened to be Lucy’s 6th birthday so I was able to attend her party at the park
Yes, it was a hot day...yippeee!

I drove to Fernandina Beach to spend a few days with Anna.
We had a great beach day!

Then back to Charleston before flying home.

I was blessed with the wonderful opportunity to celebrate an ‘end of summer’ beach day on Folly Beach with Nicole (my daughter), and Lucy and Maggie (my grand daughters). The four of us had a fabulous day, and Maggie kept her chair parked right next to mine.

Keith decided to stay with the boat.  The girls couldn’t understand why Pop didn’t come with me. I told them that he had to stay with the boat to make sure it was safe, but they asked ‘why’ a million times.  Keith was very productive while I was gone.  He rearranged the four solar panels, mounted to the hard top above the bridge, to make room for a fifth.  Thankfully, I got home in time to help him lift the new panel into place.


Nice job! We now have the ability to produce 350-500 amps of power on an average sunny day.  This is one of the upgrades that will ensure the freedom we desire.  As you know, we prefer to anchor out and be totally self sustaining.  We are currently set up to have 30 days of ‘freedom’ without the need to visit a dock for fuel, water, or a pump out.  We have also purchased a 12 volt water maker, which will extend that ‘freedom’ since water is currently our biggest constraint.  This lifestyle has introduced simple pleasures that I never realized could have such an impact.  I never thought 400 gallons of water and an empty holding tank would make me feel so content! It’s a wonderful feeling to know you have 30 days of absolute freedom, and just wait until I get my hydroponic garden going...we may never touch land again👍








No comments:

Post a Comment

The Continuing Saga

  Well, another month has passed since my last post, and I must report that our trying times have continued to haunt us.  Not sure if we sho...