Tuesday, June 18, 2019

First Aid

How much stuff do you need to have onboard to be considered ‘prepared’ for a medical emergency.  I realize that ‘stuff’ is only one part of the equation.  How many classes should one take to be prepared to handle medical situations, should they arise when help is not easily accessible?  I have no formal medical training, but I have taken the initiative to gain basic first aid and CPR training, wilderness first aid, and I recently participated in a ‘Stop the Bleed’ session, which prompted me to immediately order the triple pack of tourniquets!
Now the question is how to organize all of these items so they are easily accessible when needed.

I am taking the advice I’ve read on other blogs and sites to separate the supplies into two kits. One would be for ‘boo boo’ type injuries, and the other is for ‘OH CRAP’ injuries.  Realistically, once the items were separated it was clear to me that we now have a normal first aid kit and a Stop the Bleed kit.
The Stop the Bleed kit contains clotting gauze, Israeli bandages, tourniquets, splints, lots of tee shirt rags, and several versions of glue since Keith won’t let me practice suturing on him.  The bacon bandaids are for the ‘boo boo’ kit:)). Our grandchildren have a bandaid addiction!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Continuing Saga

  Well, another month has passed since my last post, and I must report that our trying times have continued to haunt us.  Not sure if we sho...